Straight Up Gaming

Monday, October 02, 2006

Homogenized - Rant # 1


It doesn’t matter what dance you show up to these days, your still going to have the same ball. During the X06 event I realized during my incessant web surfing for news, that it doesn’t really matter which website I go to for content, I’m getting the same exact thing.

IGN, Gamespy, Gamespot, Gamevideos.com, Gametrailers.com it’s all the same. In a way it’s eerily similar to CSI: Miami, Las Vegas, and everything else I hate about TV. The same content displayed in a different glass in and endless cycle of mediocrity. Naturally it’s unfair to criticize capitalism upon something that is clearly mass appeal, after all it’s hook line and sinkered me for years, the beef I have about being “hooked” as it were is that it all feels so utterly pointless, and undoubtly uninspired.

Unfortunately on the whole, the industry’s stab at setting themselves apart from the rest of the crowd end up immature, contrived, and decidedly nerdy. The lack of professionalism in this version of journalism simmers the stench to a fine boil, especially in the contrast of the well oiled machine which is the business end of making and publishing videogames.

Do I have a better way to do it? Not yet. Do you? I hope so, and by all means share it with me. Ideas, that’s one thing this industry doesn’t seem to have much of.

1 Comments:

  • If you're looking for higher-quality game journalism, Next Generation is a good place to start.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home